« Home | Torii Hunter » | Creepers on the bus » | Sensual Senator » | Grimsley report » | La realidad contra Don Quixote » | Probably not a good sign... » | The Facts » | I'd fight 'em » | "Starbury" no more » | What's a crush to do? »

The steady decline of hip hop

So I found out via Billboard.com that Akon has a new song out. He's put out some okay stuff, so I logged onto YouTube to check it out. The video starts out with Akon in a jail cell singing the chorus to his song. It goes like this...

"Smack that, all on the floor.
Smack that, give me some more.
Smack that, 'til you get sore.
Smack that. Oooooh."

As I listened to this unbearable song, I couldn't help but think about the awful state hip hop music is in. Chris Rock was right, it's hard to defend rap music nowadays. It's not art anymore; it's barely even music. I guess the only thing that qualifies it as music would be the rhythmic sounds and bass that accompany words that somehow qualify as lyrics.

I could take this piece in a number of different directions, but I'd be up all night writing about what constitues originality in music and the state of race relations in America. I guess I'll just say that I miss quality hip hop. All I hear is vain, superficial bullshit and it is up to all of us to stop it. Please help save hip hop music and hip hop culture; it's being lost at an alarming rate.

Lupe Fiasco is the savior of hip hop.

Post a Comment