« Home | Palin acceptance speech » | Making friends the wrong way » | Mayoral duties » | Preggers! » | ThrowbacKomedy » | Why I would make a better VP than Sarah Palin » | RNC Oddsmakers » | Accepting the nomination » | Disastrous movie » | ThrowbacKomedy »

According to John

Huzzah! The political conventions are over at last!

I watched a fair amount of Palin's acceptance speech, but didn't even bother with John McCain's. I was doing homework and the sound of his droning would have surely put me right out. I told a friend earlier in the day that I probably wouldn't be watching his speech regardless, due to the resurrection of my political cynicism, thanks in part to Sarah Palin being picked for vice president and the endless amount of coverage, both positive and negative, about her. My friend, let's call her Hannah, queried as to how I could consider myself politically knowledgeable if I didn't watch both Obama's and McCain's acceptance speeches. Seems like a good point at first, but I used the following analogy to explain and I hope that by placing it squarely into the bowels of the Internets, that someone, at some point in time, will benefit from it.

Republicans are to According to Jim as Democrats are to The King of Queens.

Obama wants to raise taxes + drill here, drill now + support our troops + vote for me = a better America
I didn't watch McCain's speech because I knew exactly what he was going to talk about and I disagree with nearly all of it. So why would I watch?

Comic misunderstanding + angry wife + zany antics = happy ending
I don't watch According to Jim because I know exactly what is going to happen and the show is painfully unfunny. (John took every bit of his father's funny genes.) So why would I watch?

Troops out of Iraq + comprehensive energy plan + health care + vote for me = a better America
I watched Obama's speech because I knew exactly what he was going to talk about, but I like what he has to say. So why wouldn't I watch?

Comic misunderstanding + angry wife + zany antics + funny = happy ending
I watch The King of Queens because I know exactly what is going to happen, but I'm entertained by it. So why wouldn't I watch?

Do you watch reruns of television shows you don't like, Hannah? The answer: No.

You like King of Queens? Really?

1) yeah, it's such an easy show to watch. kevin james is a solid comic whose material translates well to an afternoon sitcom.

2) where in the world did you come from, kyle?

You make good points, no, you make great points. Reading your post kinda makes me realize how a certain degree of politics is all a game. I'm entertained by Obama and bored to death by McCain - that's how I break it down to its simplest compound.

Post a Comment