« Home | An Obama presidency: Winners & Losers » | The Rain effect » | An Obama presidency: Winners & Losers » | His real name is Paul Hewson? » | Terrorism check » | Political roasting » | Early voting Baracks! » | Happy Rape Day! » | What then? » | Inside the belly of the beast »

President-elect Obama

Tonight was an extraordinary experience that I will remember for the rest of my life. I was witness to one of the most historic events that has, or will ever happen to the United States of America, perhaps even the world. I will look fondly upon this moment as I tell my grandchildren about Barack Obama and the vile history of early (and modern) America that preceded his election.

I am so proud right now to be an American and it feels weird. Good, but weird. I can't really think of another word to describe it. As I watched him speak, I was overwhelmed. I think I prayed about three times, asking God to keep him safe because we need him so much. I'm most happy for my nephews, nieces, little cousins, and children everywhere who will grow up (hopefully) having an entirely different view of the world. A view I can't even imagine due to my inescapable cynicism. Barack Obama has a lot of work to do if he's to change the world, but after all he's been through, I'm not going to bet against him. Who in their right mind would?